Five Year Official Plan Review
The Town of Aurora has initiated its Statutory Five Year Official Plan Review process.
The main purpose of the Official Plan Review is to provide a set of clear goals, policies and implementation mechanisms including a set of indicators to manage growth and guide land use planning within the Town to the year 2030, and to address longer-term issues of growth management beyond approximately the twenty year planning horizon. The Official Plan must conform with recent provincial, regional and municipal initiatives which require local Official Plan conformity.
The Five Year Official Plan Review is being led by a Council-appointed Steering Committee. This is a joint steering committee responsible for both the Five Year Official Plan Review and the 2C Secondary Plan Study.
The Town of Aurora has retained the firm of The Planning Partnership , along with their supporting sub-consultants comprised of URS Canada Inc. (transportation and civil engineers), Millier Dickenson Blais Inc. (economic development), and Natural Resource Solutions Inc. (natural heritage/environment), to assist in the completion of the official plan review process.
The primary objectives of the Official Plan Review are as follows:
- Sustainable development, energy efficiency and environmental design throughout the municipality with leading-edge, environmental policies within the Official Plan.
- Standardized policies for growth management and development phasing based on the principle that "growth pays for growth".
- A comprehensive strategy for the delivery of services and infrastructure on a town-wide basis, including economic development and the creation of jobs to ensure a complete community.
- A review of the employment land requirements and establish targets for residential to employment land ratios. Complete a detailed review of all employment areas and future employment needs.
- Review the commercial land requirements and set targets for residential to commercial land ratios.
- Conformity with the 2005 Provincial Policy Statement, the Provincial "Growth Plan" including the completion of an intensifiation strategy, the Lake Simcoe Protection Act, Source Water Protection (Clean Water Protectin Act) and the Metrolinx Plan.
- Conformity with the Region of York's Five Year Review Process - "Planning for Tomorrow" and related regional strategies.
- Integration of the 2C Secondary Plan and Yonge Wellington Corridor Studies.
- Continued protection and enhancement of the town's built and cultural heritage resources.
Terms of Reference
Integrated Work Plan - June 28, 2010
Official Plan with Regional Modifications