North East (NE) Quadrant
The Northeast (NE) Quadrant is a residential neighbourhood in The Town of Aurora, located northeast of Yonge Street and Wellington Street East, extending north to Mark Street and east to Walton Drive (see map below).
The roads in this area are interconnected in a grid pattern, allowing traffic to bypass the Yonge Street/Wellington Street intersection. This has resulted in neighbourhood concerns over traffic volumes and speeds.
In 2006, the Town retained a consultant to help develop a traffic calming plan for the NE Quadrant with input from neighborhood residents. The plan proposed calming measures to reduce the volume of traffic using neighborhood roads and manage vehicle speeds.
The plan was approved and adopted by Aurora Town Council in October 2006 and traffic calming measures were installed in 2007.
In 2008, a monitoring program was conducted. The results were positive, with lower vehicle speeds and lower traffic volumes in the neighbourhood.
The traffic calming measures include:
- Speed humps (Centre Street and Catherine Avenue)
- Speed cushions (Walton Drive and Mark Street)
- Chicanes (Walton Drive and Mark Street)
- Diverter (Catherine Avenue and Spruce Street intersection)
- One-way sections (Centre Street and Fleury Street)
- Time-of-day turning restrictions (Cedar Crescent)
- Curb extensions (Centre Street at Wells Street North and Spruce Street / Walton Drive at Birch Court and Mark Street / Mark Street at Spruce Street, Oak Court and Walton Drive / Fleury Street at Maple Street)
Council has requested a review of the traffic calming measures in the NE Quadrant, including input from the community on the effectiveness of the measures installed.
Northeast Quadrant Survey Results