|Date Built: 1864
||Style: Georgian (Neo-Classical)
||Design: 2 storey.
|Designation: AHC Plaque (1991)
||Legal desc.: Plan 107 Lot 17.
||Mun. Zoning: R5-7 (SMD Exemp.)
John Field, the son of Richard Machell's second wife (Martha Field Machell) purchased the 1/4 acre Lot 17 of Plan 107 from his adoptive father in October of 1861 and had the house built in 1864. Field was a local merchant and retained the house until 1876.
Dr. John R. Rutherford (1840-1914), a physician and surgeon, bought the property in 1878. Rutherford was raised in King Township where he learned the shoemaking trade from his father.He was employed as a school teacher before attending university. After practicing medicine in Simcoe County, he moved to Aurora, purchasing the Medical Hall on Yonge Street in 1885. Rutherford served as the mayor of Aurora in 1888. During the 188o's he entered into a joint practice with Dr. R. M. Coulter on Wellington Street East.
In 1903, Dr. Rutherford sold the house to his daughter, Elizabeth Richardson. Her husband, Dr. Chester Richardson, acquired his father-in-law's practice.
In 1910 the residence was purchased by Dr. Garnet W. Williams whose medical office was located in the building. The Williams family owned the property until 1974, after which the house served as two apartment units for a number of years.
Subsequently, the property was purchased by Dr. Richard P. Center, a family physician. In 1986 Dr. Center and two chiropractors began occupancy of the house.
Originally there were flanking end chimneys. At some point around 1900, the facade's first floor end windows were replaced with French-doors which opened onto a full-length verandah. In 1919, the verandah was replaced by a small semi-circular columned portico and the French-doors' bottom sections were concealed.