Environmentally Sensitive Material / Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
Hazardous materials are identified with one or more of the symbols shown to the right.
Common Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) items include:
- Batteries (household, rechargeable, automotive);
- Energy efficient bulbs, fluorescent tubes/bulbs;
- Fuels, antifreeze, brake fluid;
- Hair dye, nail polish, nail polish remover;
- Household cleaners, such as bleach, oven cleaners, drain cleaners;
- Paints, varnish, solvents, caulking, glue;
- Propane tanks/cylinders;
- Syringes (place in a rigid, puncture resistant container);
- Thermostats containing mercury;
- Used motor oil and filters.
DO NOT put hazardous materials in the garbage, down a drain, or on the ground. Please take them to one of York Region's Household Hazardous Waste Depots, following these safety requirements:
- Keep materials in their original containers or ensure that the contents are clearly labelled;
- Do not mix different types of paint or products together;
- No ammunition, PCBs, asbestos, radioactive wastes or explosives will be accepted (other than aerosols and propane cylinders);
- Tightly cap all containers.
Please call 1-877-464-9675 for more information about Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).
Links to more information:
Public Drop-Off Depots